I haven’t done a Seven Things post in a while and I wanted to squeeze one more in this week before we jet off on our anniversary getaway and eat our weight in Chicago Dogs. Anyway, I’m cheating and writing this early, but scheduling it to post later…cause technolgy’s cool like that.
1. As I write this, this is happening:
2. And while we’re on the subject of Maggie, here are my favorite things she’s said recently:
-Overheard from the other room, “Oh, Mama! We got a little action here!”
-Also overheard from the other room, “Mama, everything’s under control…”
-About a flower she picked, “It smells like happiness!”
-And last, in a recent conversation Mags said, “Mama, you’re beautiful and I’m beautiful,” to which I replied, “Yep. And what do you think makes someone beautiful?” The brilliant girl just said, “God.” Girl preaches the truth.
3. Mags and I also filled out this Father’s Day questionnaire for her Daddy.
4. And in the spirit of Father’s Day, I got a great photo of the clones.
5. Guys. I’m reading Wendell Berry. I know, I know…I’m way late to the party on this one, but seriously everything I pick up that he’s written is glooorious! I’m reading “The Art of the Commonplace” and “The Country of Marriage.” His poetry is out of control. I mean, it’s been a long time since I’ve encountered a poet whose works I could just sit down and read.
“And I have a persistent music in me, like water flowing under ice, that says the warmer days will come, blossom and leaf return again. I live in that, a flimsy enclosure, but the song’s for singing, not to dread the end.”
6. And speaking of things that’ll make you want to raise chickens…I got my first issue of Mother Earth News in the mail the other day!
What this really means is that we’re officially hippies and that I’ve officially turned into my father…just with more hair and less mumbling. Or at least more hair.
7. By the time you all read this we’ll be in Chicago (!!!), so look for updates at some juncture… Have a great weekend, errabody!